This is the 2017 updated recipe for my potato flour sponge cake. I make this for special occasions and its always a hit. I use it as a base for tiramisu and trifle, and also as a sponge roll.
Grain Free Sponge Cake
This gluten-free and grain-free sponge is light as a feather.
Course: Sweet Treats
Cuisine: Gluten Free, Grain Free
Servings: 14 slices
- 4 eggs separated
- 3/4 cup caster sugar use any extra-fine granulated sugar, finely ground coconut sugar will give you a caramel flavour.
- 1/2 cup potato flour
- 1/4 cup arrowroot/tapioca flour
- 1/4 cup almond meal or cassava flour for nut free, also see note **
- 1/2 tsp baking soda * see note
- 1 tsp cream of tarter * see note
- pinch salt
Preheat the oven to 180ºC convection of 160°C fan forced. Prepare and line tin (1 large tin or 2 smaller round tins) with baking paper.
Beat egg whites until stiff, gradually add sugar and continue beating until mixture is thick and creamy. Add yolks one at a time, beat well.
Sift flours and raising agents and add to egg white mixture. Fold in carefully until well combined.
Pour into single tin or two round “sponge” tins.
Bake for about 15- 20 mins
Leave in tin for 5 mins before turning onto wire rack to cool.
Serve with whipped cream and jam or use in a trifle.
* or use 2 tsp of baking powder.
**If you are following the RPAH website FAILSAFE diet, eliminate the almond meal and use another 1/4 cup of potato starch instead.