A useful list of what is a grain, and what is NOT a grain. It doesn’t include everything. But its a good start.
Foods that are grains, or are made from grains are:
- Barley, including barley malt
- Sorghum (gluten free)
- Corn (gluten free)
- Cornflour (gluten free unless the wheaten cornflour)
- Cornmeal (gluten free)
- Rice (gluten free)
- Wild Rice (although not related to rice it is still of the Poaceae family of cereal grasses, so technically, still a grain)
- Millet (gluten free)
- Beer (yes, beer!)
- Glucose made from wheat
- Teff (gluten free)
- Montina flour
- Graham flour (wheat)
- Commercially made stock: like chicken, beef or vegetable stock in either powder or liquid usually contains some kind of grain.
- (this list is incomplete)
So any thing made from these products would also have grains – like cakes, biscuits, pizzas, bread, pasta, breadcrumbs, spaghetti etc
Foods that are grain free, even though they are often used as a flour or look a bit like a grain are:
- Buckwheat also called Kasha
- Chickpeas (made into flour)
- Coconut (used in flours)
- Fava bean
- Gram flour (chickpea)
- Potato Starch/Flour
- Taro flour
- Glucose made from tapioca
- Plantain flour (can get at African grocers)
- Yam (iyan) flour (can get at African grocers)
- Mesquite flour
So any thing made from these products would be grain-free – like any of the recipes on www.grainfreeliving.com. Grain free foods are also automatically gluten free.
Dairy products, or anything from an animal like milk, cheese, butter or meat do not contain grains.
All fruits and vegetables are not grains, (except for corn, which is a grain).
Commenting PolicyI recently turned on a commenting system. It's a new feature to the website. Here are a few things to keep in mind:
 This website is based in Australia, and all comments that contain a link will automatically go into moderation by Disqus.
 All other comments are automatically approved.
 I reserve the right to delete any comments I deem offensive, unhelpful or rude.
 If a comment needs approval before appearing or a reply please note I am in Sydney Australia - comments left from other time zones are often when I am sleeping. I will get to it at the first opportunity on waking up/getting back online.
Thanks for taking the time to comment on my small corner of the web.